1. Do the products need to be mixed prior use?
No mixing is normally required. Shaking the product is not recommended.
2.What is a safe dilution ratio for F1?
No dilution ratio is unsafe but F1 can be over diluted. When the F1 concentrate is not high enough (by volume) in relation to the square footage being de-rusted along with the degree of rust, all the rust will not be removed.
3. Will the 202 remove or soften gelcoat on fiberglass?
Direct contact of SPC-202 with gelcoat during the paint removal process will temporally soften gelcoat. The final step in removing antifouling paint from gelcoat requires a thorough washing (power washing). Within 24 hours the gelcoat will recover to its original hardness, prior to stripping.
It should be noted: Gelcoat is a porous coating so almost any liquid, antifouling paint, SPC-202 or water etc. will temporarily soften Gelcoat.
4. If used in a dipping tank how long before F1 needs to be replaced?
The F1 efficacy is used up relative to the area of steel and level of rust being removed.
5. How quickly will the metal begin to rust after using F1 or F2?
The correct procedures for using both F1 and F2 require washing (power washing) the derusted steel immediately after the application. At that point the steel is extraordinarily clean so flash rust occurs almost immediately.
6. Can water be added to dilute the SPC-202, 203 and SPC-909 products?
SPC-202,203 and SPC-909 are ready to use as received. Addition of water will destabilize product making it ineffective.
7. Will F1 or F2 affect chrome or painted areas?
Used per instructions: Neither the F1 nor F2 will have a negative affect on chrome or chrome-plated alloys.
8. How can you tell when the products have finished working?
When coating layers are completely lifted.
If SPC products dry out they are no longer working—reapply fresh product.
When the substrate is reached.
9. What is the optimum working temperature for SPC coating removal products?
SPC products work best at temperatures starting at 60F / 15C. The warmer a coating the faster SPC products will perform.
Working with SPC products at temperatures below 60F / 15C requires longer / increased dwell times.
10. Can SPC products be used to safely remove paint containing lead or asbestos?
11. Which SPC product works best on steel, wood, aluminum, concrete or fiberglass?
The correct SPC product is regulated by: The coating(s) being removed and in some cases the substrate is the contributing factor.
Applying test patches will determine the best SPC product to remove the coating(s). Observe the affect to the substrate at the same time. Sea 2 Sky Selection Guide
12. Can SPC products be reapplied if they happen to ‘Dry’ out while on the paint?
If SPC products dry out, reapply fresh product. A new coat of SPC product can be used to wet the original coat.